Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Alphabe-Thursdays Letter W- Withershins

Welcome to,  ALPHABE-THURSDAY LETTER   "W"  POST


Example of Withershins, aka Widdershins

This is my first ever post for Alphabe-Thursday as well!

It comes to you from Jenny at "off on my tangent" blog where I have been enjoying her Saturday Centus and thought I'd give this a try!  If you want to join in, or check on other posts go here

http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/09/alphabe-thursdays-letter-w.html


My W for today is all about "Withershins, or Widdershins"

           ....which originally came to me from the album, Withershins.... and wondering how does a musical group decide to name their album something like Withershins?  ...so I searched Withershins!

....it's an interesting word that means: advancing in an unfortunate direction, and traditionally was believed to be unlucky.  Or a direction contrary to the apparent course of the sun, anti-clockwise.  Contrary to REASON!...backwards......!

Old English - "backwards, (sdrawkcab) withershins" Icelandic "against" Danish and Swedish veder, More at wither, sense.  Hmmm, and they thought this was a good title?!

But, originally this all began with the album Withershins, (and the hunt for a W word) and it is performed by an all sister band, (beautiful voices of) Asya, Chloe, and their younger sister, Maia joined their band in early 2007.  Incidentally they do not give out their last name in interviews, and they named their band "Smoosh" (a long story about that)  and are an American indie pop band from Seattle, Washington.  The album Withershins was released on June 29th 2010.

and why not listen to a very lovely tune by......

Withershins Smoosh with their song"the World's Not Bad"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZVAnl1m5f0


The Album "Withershins" by the all sister band "Smoosh"
I hope you enjoyed this Alphabe-Thursday Letter "W" Post.......and do check out the other entries as well!


Jenny Matlock

16 comments:

darlin said...

The bands not bad and that's an interesting W word. The things I learn from you Karen... now how do I incorporate this new knowledge into my essays? ;-)

Karen S. said...

Darlin- Hmm that's a good question. I hope your studies are going well, and that you are enjoying yourself too! Learning and living what more could you ask for...oh yeah...watching your family grow too! Get some sleep too!

Stacia said...

Love learning a new word ... and being introduced to new music!

jfb57 said...

what an educational post this is! Brilliant. Welcome to Alphabe too!

Cloudia said...

Wrongway forward!


Warm Aloha from Waikiki;

Comfort Spiral


> < } } ( ° >



><}}(°>

< ° ) } } > <

Lola said...

Love this ‘W’ post! And thanks for stopping by!

Have a great weekend & look forward to *seeing* you again next time,

XOXO LOLA:)

Unknown said...

What fun! I love the sign backwards!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

what a fun post.
incredible photo shots.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I will have to go and listen to some of this album. Welcome to Alphabet Thursday!!

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

I totally agree! Seashells are magical sea treasures to me!

Great W post!

Teresa said...

Yes, widdershins is going counter clockwise. It's an ancient word that not many know it's meaning these days.

Judie said...

OMG!! This is me!! You are sooo brilliant to come up with this post! What a fabulous word!! You are soooooo ready to participate every week! Just don't make your offerings better than mine! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Gattina said...

Never heard of Withershins ! but at least you found a word with "W", lol !
http://gattinawritercramps.blogspot.com/2011/09/waterloo-where-i-live.html

Unknown said...

I love that word. We use it a lot in Pagan rituals and it's always sounded so melodic to me :)

http://carabossesbedchamber.blogspot.com/2011/09/alphabet-thursday_23.html

Karen S. said...

Oh Judie you make me smile and laugh out loud! I am no way going to offer any posts better than yours...and not sure if I'll get to post every week there...it's quite a busy lesson ...there are like about 70 bloggers already posted! When I posted I was like the 36th and it was Wednesday night....I try to always go to everyone's post, except there are a few blogger won't let me comment on...and that's a lot to respond to, and I have in return back about 14 I think....I know people have to get to know you...I've enjoyed reading them though, they are amusing and fact filled!

Jenny said...

Wow. I love that band. I'm going out to load a few onto my i-pod!

What a neat post! I learned a new word AND a new band AND saw you away from SC AND

You know I'm always a fan of your writing.

Thanks for linking up!

A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++