Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Alphabe-Thursday and TP On The Water

Happiness is-

This is a first for me, ever, but I am linking my Alphabe-Thursday with Thematic Photographic.

HAPPINESS- Is my H Letter for this week with Jenny and Alphabe-Thursday- and happiness.

ON THE WATER

The secret to happiness, for me, has always been connected to water as well.  When I long for the ocean the Atlantic is about 1,600 miles away, but the splendid, Lake Superior is under two hundred miles away.  Far more reachable.

Even better, and closer yet, is this idyllic location that sits across the street from where my mother lived out the last ten years of her life.  Another secret to happiness, for me, keeping the memory of my mother as alive as the water that resides here, day after day. 






A twenty-seven acre community park just waiting for visitors.


I've found that keeping people in our thoughts can make five years feel like only yesterday.


It's so easy to reap the benefits of such a glorious place, when it's only steps away.









Just a short drive away is-


Lake Minnetonka, another unique get-away for water bound folks.  But it has it's draw backs this time of year as you can see below.  Although, there seems to be an unlimited amount of parking available.
Win, win right!











As pictured above, Lake Superior offers more than a dramatic body of water, but also, many fables and tales of being one who does not give up her dead. It carries inside my heart a gazillion amount of memories that flow as much through me as each drop of Lake Superior continues to hold as well.
 
 
 
But in all fairness, does it really matter how big a body of water it is? Seems to me, even the slightest amounts of water, waiting idly under a gorgeous blue sky, still carries reflections that give back countless joys. 


 
 
 
If  you enjoyed my Alphabe-Thursday post you can see more here
 
 
 
Or if you came by way of Carmi's Thematic Photographic posts
go here
 
 

25 comments:

Cloudia said...

Refreshing to heart and mind. Thanks.
Aloha

Yvonne Demoskoff said...

I've never seen Lake Superior from its shores, but have travelled over it on a flight with Air Canada. What a sight it was; almost didn't know where it started or where it ended.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

pretty pix

I like the pier on an angle.

I need to experiment with angles.

21 Wits said...

Mac- I know angles are fun. But I kind of went crazy last year with them. Until someone finally mentioned getting sea-sick or dizzy trying to look at them all. I guess it's like everything, less is more. That day it was so cold and grey and frozen, that I felt jazzing up the photo might help!

Bob Scotney said...

Having suffered the wettest year for 100 years in the UK I think we are all sick of the sight of water here. I have a new spring in the middle of our gravel pull-in. Of course I'll make an exception for your pics, Karen, especially that beautiful park and the Superior shots. On the question of distances to water - in England we are never more that 70 miles from the sea.

Unknown said...

Could it be that the reason why a couple of our kitties (full-grown cats, actually) always pee on Arlynda's side of the bed is because of them just wanting her to be happy? Of course, that would mean that they do not care about me... Sigh.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Water also makes me happy....

Lola said...

Have always been near water - rivers or seas (now the Mediterranean!)

Lovely post.

Judie said...

We had to drive about 3 hours to beg to the Sea of Cortez in Mexico, when we lived in Tucson. And it was 4 hours to the beach at San Diego. Now I can drive 15 minutes to the beach at Jekyll Island. I am a Pisces, so of course I crave water!!! Great pix, Karen!

Snowcatcher said...

Wow, those reflection shots sure are wonderful. How nice to have a special memory/person attached to the locale.

Stacia said...

Happiness for me is rain. That's a kind of water, I guess?? And I love the idea of keeping someone you've lost in your thoughts to stave off the passing of time. So, so true.

21 Wits said...

Judie- Hi Judie, I've missed you- and you are one lucky girl now living where you do! COOL! AWESOME! It totally rocks- good for the arts too isn't!!!!

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful post for 'H' ~ lovely photo ^_^

(A Creative Harbor) aka ArtMuseDog and Carol ^_^)

Jenny Woolf said...

I love the idea of a little house by the water side. The lake where your mother lived is beautiful.

storybeader said...

I long for the water too. Wish I lived on the ocean; spend many happy days on the Atlantic as a child. The pond and lake are so pretty. And I forget the Great Lakes are so large. I need to go north and visit them! Never have before...{:-Deb

darlin said...

Karen I love what you say: "I've found that keeping people in our thoughts can make five years feel like only yesterday", I find this is so true. I also keep the memory of my mother alive in various ways, I now am able to smile when I think of her, the sorrow has passed, most of the time, and the happy memories flood my mind.

Seriously, parking meters in water? That's a first for me, what the heck are they going to charge for next? I'm still trying to grasp having to pay for dirt and water, never mind launching a boat!

Have you ever stayed in that cabin right on the water? That's a bit too close for comfort for me!

Have a wonderful weekend! Thanks for the wonderful post and photos.

Alexia said...

I have visited Lake Superior quite a few times - we have family in Toronto and in Thunder Bay, where I have seen the Sleeping Giant and visited the very lovely little holiday resort of Silver Islet. Beautiful.
You know how I feel about the water, Karen, so you will know how much I am enjoying this week's theme!

Thanks for your wise words about the joys and memories associated with your watery pics :)

JosephAlsarraf said...

Ya we live about an hour away from the Gulf, but my dad and me enjoy taking a dip the San Marcos river better. : )

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I've been in Lake Michigan, but I can't remember if I ever made it to Lake Superior.

Lovely shots!
~

JJ said...

Love the photos. You are so right about the memories. I have fished all the Great Lakes, and they are magnificent. For a variety of reasons, Lake Huron holds a special place in my memory banks. All the fresh water lakes in that area are fabulous. That is where we spent a major wedding anniversary.

Filip and Kristel said...

For us the water is relaxing. That's why we like to cruise.

Greetings,
Filip

Galen Pearl said...

I love living in an area where water is plentiful. The Pacific Ocean is just over an hour to the west. A river runs right through town. A creek runs right in front of my cabin. Gorgeous waterfalls abound. The grand Columbia River Gorge is as short drive away. I even have a little water feature in my own back yard! And of course, here in the Pacific Northwest, we have lots of rain!

laurak/ForestWalkArt :) said...

i agree...the water...whatever kind of body of water...river, ocean, lake...puddle even...can be calming, holding secrets and light...and the unknown too.
i love the dock, and the reflections!!! and the stone & cement wall in that last picture!
happy sunday karen!

carmilevy said...

I'm with you, Karen: size doesn't necessarily have to matter. Any body of water can potentially shape our lives - if we allow it. I'm glad you do. It makes for a richer life, with richer experiences to share with us. I'm so glad you do!

Jenny said...

That lovely place would make me happy, too!

The sound of running water always soothes my soul.

Thanks for a lovely and restful link for the letter "H".

A+