Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Sepia Saturday - 30 August 2014 Escape to Anywhere or Bust!

A bit of a twist for me, while Alan is off on an escape to a seaside adventure, I've just returned from an adventurous road trip myself.  I'm excited to see how the rest of us will complete this week's challenge.  A before, or after?   Possibly, a more current escape?

SEPIA SATURDAY

Perhaps more of an inland, dusty kind of escape plan is in the cards for you, like Deadwood, South Dakota (named after dead trees found in it's gulch) pictured below.



"It isn't running away they're afraid of.  We wouldn't get far.  It's those other escapes, the ones you can open in yourself, given a cutting edge." - Margaret Atwood


Whether you travel by train-


Stay overnight in a relaxing hotel-


Or you might discover pitching a tent, or locating an old log cabin more to your liking-




Sometimes, we just have to kick up our heels and escape from where we are.




Alone, or not alone, it's your decision.  Families have been packing up and escaping the comfort of their homes for the open road, for centuries.  Below, greetings from Mayodan, North Carolina.


"To look back is to relax one's vigil."  - Bettie Davis





Families on the open road escapes, come from all kinds of backgrounds and in all shapes and sizes, like this family below.




Meet "The Tin Family"  from Enchanted Highway, Regent, North Dakota.


I see escaping our everyday life in exchange for unexpected sights along an open journey, as refreshing as a dream come true.  Seeing the old with new eyes, is another form of escape without leaving home to do it.

Whatever your escape, no pressures, just do it.

18 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Excellent. Love the black and white of Deadwood...did you get to go in the 'famous' bar with the 'Deadman's Hand' on the table?

What a sweet, sweet darling in the buggy...she's a doll!

Filip and Kristel said...

the 2nd last picture is perfect.

Greetings,
Filip

Cloudia said...

You are one of the best bloggers out here!




ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

EG CameraGirl said...

I absolutely love the Atwood quote! So true! The tin family is very cute and I really like the photo of the old carriage.

La Nightingail said...

A great way for me to 'escape' without ever leaving home is to sit out in my gazebo rocking gently on my glider bench while I feast my eyes on the view of the hills around & let my mind wander away to wherever it wants to go. :)

Postcardy said...

I never knew that "Deadwood" was actually named after dead wood.

sage said...

I also didn't know that about Deadwood, but have been there. Was more interested in the mining at Leads, SD. That train shot is nice.

Judie said...

ATWOOD IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES!!!

Waaaaaa! I want to escape somewhere!!! Maybe into my mind?????

xoxo

21 Wits said...

If I haven't said this enough, let me say it again, your comments and thoughts make my day! Truly.

DeniseinVA said...

Great photos Karen, a sweet little girl sitting in the buggy. What a great trip you had. My son got to see Deadwood a few years ago. I always wanted to visit. I think I would take that old log cabin over the hotel, though it is a lovely building. I just loved the photo of the log cabin. Have a great Sunday :)

Jofeath said...

You're the second person to quote Margaret Attwood in SS blogs this week. Love the Tin Family - are they gigantic or are the fences etc just tiny?

ScotSue said...

A very imaginative psot, with stunning photographs - my favourite is the log cabin - I can imagine curling up inside in front of a roaring fire.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

cool collection of shots :O)

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

As something of an escape artist myself, I lived your theme this week! Great images for Sepia Saturday.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Just the nudge that I need to get going! That tin family sure grows them tall.

What a neat little town that you guys went too. I'm glad that you had a fun trip with the kids and grandkids.

Hugs,
Kathy M.

Little Nell said...

So that’s how Deadwood really looked! Great photos, especially the whimsical tin family.

Kristin said...

Looks like you would have plenty of bugs for company if you chose the old log building.

Wendy said...

That tin family is something. Aren't there lots of oddities in that vain throughout the plains? And Deadwood -- much nicer looking place than the fictional version on the tv show.