Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Friday, September 25, 2015

Two Girls and Hello Mr Lizard

SEPIA SATURDAY
(Our theme is of two girls and two dogs.)

and
SATURDAY'S CRITTERS

I'm posting early because two girls, my friend Debbie and I will be heading out early Saturday morning to, the Minnesota Renaissance Fair.



"Growing apart doesn't change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I'm glad for that."
 - Ally Condie



Please meet my one and only older sister, Oriana. She was born seven years before me and I had only a precious, short  12 years to spend growing up with her.  A most devastating thing to happen, besides being my first death in the family but also, trying to understand why I'd never see her again.




"If you have a sister and she dies, 
do you stop saying you have one? 
Or are you always a sister,
 even when the other half
 of the equation is gone?"
Jodi Picoult

Okay, so the photo below isn't of two girls, however, this couple is quite precious to me. Why do you ask? Because how many of us can boast about having a photo of their father and his sister (my aunt Mary) preparing a chocolate cake? I can indeed!


My father went on to be quite the cook in his lifetime and that talent has reached as far as my own children as well.




One might possibly label a few of these costumed munchkins as critters wouldn't you agree?


Another photo of more than two girls, but equally important to share.


Photo taken somewhere in Lansing, Michigan, and the photographer is unknown.  I'd like to believe it was one of my parents, especially since I notice two adults ( teacher ?) in the background.

See the smiling happy faced little girl possibly dressed as a Good-Witch I'd venture to say?  She's my beloved sister, Oriana seated with her classmates for their Halloween Party, as the description on the back reads.  Isn't the boy on the left rather spooky? I'd say he is, and his mask appears homemade and quite a clever design don't you think?


On the subject of couples, I'm delighted to introduce, Mr. Camel and his side-kick, Mr. Frog.
Hehehehe.


What can I say about this shadow couple? One belongs to our pup, Dashiell, and isn't it odd how his shadow appears much like the shape of a camel?


When man speaks to critters-
"I deserve all the love you can spare me. 
And I want a lot more than I deserve."
Dashiell Hammett


"Magic lies in between things,
 between the day and the night, 
between yellow and blue, between any two things." 
Charles de Lint
       

It's always time spent well wandering about a pet shop  
but following behind munchkins in a pet shop always
gladdens my heart!

The best sights of all are seen through small, bright eyes.


"Just know, if you take me home with you, I'm NOT eager to meet any kitty-cats. But crickets, that's a different story entirely."



"Leaving me so soon? Did you miss my pout face?"



Note:
Birds of armor, fly nowhere.



How about a couple of critters enjoying blue skies of the day?



Happy Weekend to all, and thanks for stopping by.
 I always enjoy reading your comments and sharing moments in our Bloggersville together.

27 comments:

sage said...

I can not imagine who tough it must have been to have lost a sibling so young--the first death I had to deal with was a great-grandmother. Great photos!

ariverflowsby said...

Happy weekend, Karen.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I wish I could come to the renaissance fair too! How fun. Hope you have good weather for it.

humbird said...

Interesting post, sad intro about your first loss...~ love the pics of your aunt ~ intriguing camel shadow of the dog; things between - always amaze me~ creatures around are fascinating and mysterious! Thanks for sharing! Have happy weekend at Renaissance!

Wendy said...

My one and only sister is 8 years younger, so I'm pretty glad that I'll likely be the first to go. I don't think I could stand it if she were to die first. OK, this is gloomy enough - can we move on to something else? The shadow picture was pretty interesting. I didn't think camel - it reminds me of a Halloween cat.

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

Such precious photos of your sister and fond but also sad memories. I like that hungry little lizard and that flightless bird!

TexWisGirl said...

cute critters! enjoy the fair with your friend!

Elephant's Child said...

A lovely, memory packed, bitter-sweet post.
I hope you have a wonderful time at the fair (and take lots of photos).

Cloudia said...

Bless you and your sister





ALOHA
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=





Gail said...

A delightful post except for loosing your sister. I like to think they are with us still.

Rose said...

I have enjoyed this post...sorry you lost your sister....two of mine have now passed on, but two are left. I also have three brothers. It is hard losing siblings.

I loved the old pictures.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I'm sorry to hear about Oriana, Karen.

I like your snake and lizard pics.
~

Jofeath said...

Sorry to hear about the tragic loss of your sister. Your shadow photo is interesting - is that a real or a toy frog? Of course, your header photograph features pillars, which are also part if this week's theme.

orchid0324 said...

Dearest Karen; Oh My, I'm really sorry to hear your loss of your loving sister in such early days. I've lost my brother 6 years ago and it was a kind of tragic way. I've got many these sepia pictures with him and too hard to see them. My late father's hobby was camera :-)

ps, Thank you SO much for your thoughtful comments. They really eased my mind♪ It won't be soon to have full recovery but I'll be patient.
Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend, xoxo Miyako*

Filip and Kristel said...

Very mice these pictures out of the old box.

Greetings,
Filip

ScotSue said...

A beautifully expressed post and it msut have been devastating to lose someone so close to you at an early age. That first photograph must be very special to you.
Family History Fun

Mike Brubaker said...

Thank you for sharing a close personal link to the theme. You've reminded us how photographs, even snapshots, can be powerful tokens of memory. Oriana is a beautiful name too.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a lovely post to read...I enjoyed the critters, but was struck most by the hand made masks of the children's costumes in a school setting. It's a great holiday, Halloween, which has been turned into a really different thing from when I was a child...no longer do children ring a doorbell, and do a song or dance for a treat! They just go to a mall and come home with a lot of candy, or perhaps go to a party held at a church. The community aspect of a neighborhood has been lsot.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

It was sad to read about your sister and the shock of death at a young age. My sister pre-deceased me, in her sixties and I miss her every day. In fact, I started writing a blog to express the kind of thoughts I used to share with her and now share with Mr. Apple. Hope you have a great time at the fair.

Unknown said...

Oriana is a beautiful name indeed, I'm glad you showed us some pics of your little big sister!

Anonymous said...

Nice to see your sister's dress with a band let in in place of a belt. I used to like that style.

Boobook said...

I'm wondering what a Renaissance Fair is.

One of my sisters died young also and I too have the same dilemma as you. Do I have two sisters or one? The photo of you and Oriana together is so nice.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Karen! It is sad to read about the loss of your sister and she was so young! My father was the opposite and never cooked! Funny shadow shot of your sweet pup! I love the metal bird, dragonflies and the bear. I am glad you had a great weather day for the fair! Enjoy your Sunday! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy new week ahead!

Debbie said...

such a mixed bag today. loss is always difficult, especially a family member, at such a young age!! cute critter!!!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

killroy

Jenny Woolf said...

I thought you didn't really have a tiny pet camel :) I always like the look of amphibians, think they're rather under rated creatures. Tree sculptures always fascinate me. I saw a road once where the trees along the road had bas-relief figures carved in them. It hadn't killed them and they were fine and it was such an interesting thing to do. Wish I had had a camera with me.

Tattered and Lost said...

A really nice visit to your world. I am sorry about your sister. I would say once a sister always a sister. To not say so would be saying she never existed, and in your heart she clearly does.