Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Joshua Secrest and Cow Hollow

Joshua Secrest's octagonal barn is near Herbert Hoover's birthplace in West Branch, Iowa.  It's only about 290 miles from my own house.




Do you have a favorite octagon house?

The architecture of an octagon house is my first interest,
and second is the story surrounding the place,
and there's always a story.
Third is the name of course.


"It is good people who make good places."
Anna Sewell

I'm not quite sure why I've always been fascinated and drawn to anything with the word hollow in it, but I am.  Hence my story today begins with a curious and historic house from Cow Hollow.


Cow Hollow


Built in 1861
by first owners, Harriet Schober who married William C. McElroy
and they built their octagon house 1861 story here.

Octagon House in the Cow Hollow Neighborhood
of San Francisco.

The house became a museum operated by the National Society of  Colonial Dames and displays decorative arts from the Colonial and Federal periods.


Cow Hollow, is well-to-do but has a small town charm feel in this neighborhood located between Russian Hill and the Presidio and bordering the Marina District on one side and Pacific Heights on the other.

The next series of photos are courtesy of the Library of Congress and Joseph A. Baird Jr. photographer



McElroy Octagon House
New location
it was moved from the east to the west side of Gough Street 
to a plot of land donated by the Allyne sisters.
Never underestimate women with a mission at hand.
2645 Gough Street



This photo above is a copy from Arnold Genthe in 1906.




Taken in 1960 below are photos taken inside during 1960


Details of door, at the entrance north wall.




Remodeled Living Room





Remodeled Upper Hall




Circular Stairway and ceiling medallions. 



West Entrance at 2645 Gough Street San Francisco.

But as many of you know, there are so many beautiful and interesting places just waiting for you to visit, from the west coast to the east coast, and right through the north to the south.


"When you leave a beautiful place, 
you carry it with you wherever you go."
Alexander Stoddard


Learn things. That's what keeps us alive!
I sure enjoy seeing you stop by
take good care of you.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

these are all so beautiful but my favorite octagon house belongs to theresa in texas!!!

Cloudia said...

Oh Honey! Maybe one day we will go into Cow Hollow neighborhood of SF together for a look! I so enjoy your wonderful online companionship, K

Cloudia said...

I miss Teresa Tex!

Elephant's Child said...

I don't think I have ever seen an octagonal house. Thank you - definitely intriguing.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the octagon house is cool. I agree with Debbie above, Tex's house was awesome. Great quotes! Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

Well, this is cool! We are looking at houses in The U.P. I would love to find something unique and historical. But, really, anything solid in the U.P. would make me happy. Well, the U.P.does! This post was really interesting. Thank you!

Unknown said...

I can't remember seeing an octagonal house before. I've seen cube houses though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_house.