Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Friday, October 14, 2011

Sepia Saturday # 96 Saturday: 15 October 2011

THIS IS A SEPIA SATURDAY POST

            It seems our theme photo arrives by Christine H's remarkable comment last week, and Alan has graciously accepted her challenge and made it his theme photo. So our theme could touch war, cooking, fire, chairs and/or strange outfits.  So Alan says cook up a post and Bon appetit!


I first give you a close second to his theme photo, a bit of cooking, and fire (as in cooking and drinking of fire water-or beer) in this photo

A bit of cooking will soon finish off this 95 pound sturgeon from about 1900. - Courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society and these two brave fishermen.

My next entry is of quite possibly a fictional Harry Potter, in somewhat of a "strange outfit" by today's standards, next to a "chair" and the only real source of fact relating to this photo is that it was taken in Vancouver......

He is quite the handsome and well dressed young lad wouldn't you agree?
               ...did you notice the amazing reflection in this photo?

I really don't mean any disrespect, or make fun of this charming young woman, but with all do respect as far as "strange outfits" may go this photo, especially this hat, or whatever it may be called to me, appears quite strange...and takes away from this young woman's character very much.....

I don't mean to offend anyone, if this is a traditional head covering of some sort, (someone here may know and I apologize right now if that is the case.)  But to me it seems rather odd.

My last photo covers fire (for fireworks) and cooking (or eating) at this Fourth of July party in an unknown St. Paul location around 1908.

1908 Fourth of July celebration when people still dressed up for these kinds of goings on and instead throwing a blanket onto the ground they placed a white linen tablecloth on a table and brought their little American flags to wave about their nicely set table.  - Courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society
Thank you for stopping by and allowing me to play out Alan's theme from Sepia Saturday, and if you feel like posting your own offering, or just wish to view a few other posts, please go here

http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2011/10/sepia-saturday-96-saturday-15th-october.html

19 comments:

Little Nell said...

You've managed to weave several of Alan's themes into your post again. Well done on finding such an unusual and quirky collection. At first sight I thought the young woman wad wearing some kind of protective outfit, but I'm not so sure. Someone will have the answer.

FilipBlog said...

The last picture is very nice, I can not imagine that people nowadays dress up for a garden party.

Greetings,
Filip

Jinksy said...

That looks more like a bride's veil, caught in the wind...maybe a confirmation photo though? Can't imagine any bride wearing white socks...♥

Postcardy said...

I love the last photo. The others are interesting too. I thought of confirmation for the girl in white too.

Karen S. said...

Postcardy and Jinksy- I thought of confirmation too, especially with her holding what could be her papers, but that hat, is like a cross between a rain hat and a nurses protective net!

Karen S. said...

Little Nell, thanks, at first I wasn't so sure I had anything, but after digging through one box I got it handled! I've been waiting to use the young boy on the patio, he's just so darn cute!

Karen S. said...

Filip - you are so right. Some people don't even get all dressed up for weddings! It's not like it used to be...my mother used to wear little white gloves to go grocery shopping!...My sister and I had them too....that was a different world.

mary said...

A wonderful collage. The woman in white reminds me of some of the ladies at the hair salon in town. They had tin foil and other objects jutting out of their heads.

Bob Scotney said...

Someone who had just had a perm came to my mind also - the 'hat' to hide the curlers.

Howard said...

Great fun. That really is Harry Potter isn't it?

Christine H. said...

I guess I'll take this veil thing off my head, since you're making fun of it ;)
Those are all wonderful pictures. The sturgeon is amazing.

Martin said...

What a quirky collection, particularly the 'Harry Potter' lookalike and the young female in white - a confirmation outfit, I suspect.

Liz Stratton said...

Interesting set of photos to fit the theme - very creative! The shadows in the photo of Harry Potter are interesting ... perhaps he was in a conservatory? They add visual depth to the photo, making it almost appear 3 dimensional.

Brett Payne said...

After bringing in that catch, the shared beer is well deserved, and if they ever managed to cook it, I think they should have been rewarded with another beer, perhaps even one each.

Karen S. said...

Liz, I think you may be right.
Brett, yes I hope they did have more than one! But as far as the photo goes...it looks like they didn't!
Christine,Ha ha, if you own a head-dress like this I think this may start a fashion trend! ;)

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I do love the handsome young lad, but feel sorry for the young girl. I feel she had some bad advice as far as her headgear is concerned.

Mike Brubaker said...

A very clever mixture on the theme!

North County Film Club said...

I think it's a bridal veil and reminds me of the one worn by that kardashian woman.
Nancy Javier
Ladies of the grove

Bruno Laliberté said...

could this be a first communion outfit? but if it is, it is definitely the weirdest i've ever seen...
:D~
HUGZ