Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Friday, December 9, 2011

Sepia Saturday 104 : 10 December 2011

THIS IS A SEPIA SATURDAY POST

I'm going off theme this week with a topic about.....

      "What you might find during December."

            I'll begin from a time long ago....


                   My first photo I'd title..... Gone to the Birds..... but that wouldn't even be close to what's happening here.....


     Oddly enough, this photo is even void of snow.  Is it really December?  Is this actually the Nation's Community Christmas Tree ready to be lighted in Washington, D.C. across the street from the White House? 


Apparently, yes.  The lady is Miss Mable White, and she appears to be more interested in feeding the pigeons; then seeing the Nation's Christmas Tree on December 22, 1938.
Courtesy of Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.


Just who is Miss Mable White anyway?

It's quite possible she was officially hired as the head Librarian for $10.00 a week, in December 1920 and held that position until January of 1922, at the Hamilton Public Library located in Hamilton, Missouri.  But there were a good number of women named Miss Mable or (Mabel) White, so it's hard to say for sure.



Moving along to another familiar scene along a lively avenue .....

                Peddlers were everywhere, as this photo from December 19, 1910 shows a rather (Dapper Dan) peddler discussing his wares with onlookers....in New York City.


Seems he has delighted a good many children looking on.  Surely he  hopes they'll spread the word to their parents....
Courtesy of Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
                               I wonder what he was trying to sell?



Another common sight all across the world about this time of year.....


  Yes Virginia, there really is a Santa Claus......didn't you know....

    Ah, yes this was a very long time ago.....when the Post Office did an amazing amount of business during the end of the year.  Not so much the case any more.  This decorated truck, equipped with Santa Claus too, was sent to the streets in hopes of urging folks to send their mail early......
The Post Office title this as "A la carte" and Santa was busy spreading the word to mail things early! - Courtesy of Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. - December 10, 1921.

Have you ever felt like this during, or after the month of December?  This was titled, Best on the Tree, painted for Puck Magazine, by Will Houghton, of London, December 12, 1914.  Courtesy of Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
The illustration shows a woman holding cymbals as an ornament hanging from a Christmas tree.

     Yes, December finds a good number of people quite busy.......


If you want to see other Sepia Saturday Posts, or care to share your own old photos just go here


http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2011/12/sepia-saturday-104-10-december-2011.html



15 comments:

Just Two Chicks said...

Love the old pictures!!! It may sound strange, but I miss that time. Hard to do when you've never experienced it, right? I also have a ton of old records from my grandmother, and grandmother-in-law, which I love listening to on my old-time record player. The pictures, the music... it just makes that time seem so much better. Now with my love for history, I know there were hard times, but it's hard now too... it was just sweeter back then, I think :)

tony said...

I Could Do With A Big Truck To Remind Me! I Am Terrible,I Leave Everything To The Last Minute.
Some Ace Photos!

21 Wits said...

Just Two Chicks... you are so completely right! ;)

21 Wits said...

Tony- Well hang around my blog this month and you'll remember, and may soon want to forget!!! ha ha ha

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Karen, these are varied and wonderful ... that post office cracked me up. Those pigeons look a bit aggressive, flying around her hands. The weather has been like that for us this December; clear and dry with blue skies ... we are not complaining in Central Oregon.

Thanks for making me smile this morning,

Kathy M.

Postcardy said...

I love the picture of the Xmas Post Office.

Pigeons are photogenic, but I don't like them in person, or the mess they make, or the people that feed them so they keep hanging around.

Bob Scotney said...

No snow this year yet; last year at this time we had a lot. My wife has decorated our tree today and I have brownie points for posting all my cards. So there is no need for the post office to send round a reminder van like your magnificent Xmas Post Office.

Little Nell said...

Wonderful pictures Karen. Me, I’d have been there on the front row with those boys, craning my neck to see what the peddler had on his tray. I had a peddler doll with a tray full of tiny bits and bobs. Loved it. Thank you.

JJ said...

Terrific! I would love to have Best on the Tree framed and hangng on a wall in my house.

Wendy said...

Interesting variety of photos.

Tattered and Lost said...

You've suddenly reminded me of one of my best memories of Christmas. As a child I remember driving down to the White House to see the national tree display. It was cold with snow on the ground, but it was magical walking amongst all the trees. Then on the way home we ended up stuck on the Sutleland Parkway with cars spun out around us. My mother and I were left in the car while my dad went to help dig out those who had ended up in snowdrifts. Once home we walked in to find my Scottish grandmother happily drinking tea and watching the Pat Boone show. My that was a very long time ago. Your one picture set off such memories.

Bruno Laliberté said...

A fun post and so appropriately seasonal. I don't send much cards anymore, but my videos are already done and ready to post on my blog, and I'll send my friends the link.
That's how things have evolved for me. No more spending hours writing personal notes... A shame perhaps, but who's got the time. Maybe when I retire... one day!!
:)~
HUGZ

21 Wits said...

Tattered and Lost - thanks so much for saying that...I think this Sepia Saturday is just special for that very reason...especially when they can be happy memories!

21 Wits said...

Ticklebear, I so know what you mean...I don't send as many as years ago, and I used to hand make everyone with rubber stamps and coloring and glitter...but wow no time for that....(how did I then, oh yeah home with babies!) but lately the few real pieces of mail I've received feel So darn good, that my family members and closest friends all got real cards this year !!!

21 Wits said...

JJ- I know what you mean, especially to have hanging this time of year !