Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Mag - 144

Welcome





Squall, 1986, by Andrew Wyeth



My thoughts arrive from -
Lake Superior, a magical place where ghost ships and November gales reign merrily and mercifully,  until storm winds blow in.  Lake Superior is known for never giving up her dead. 


Founder- 
(To sink in a disastrous way)




A Bright Yellow Slicker Waits
Yesterday beneath
rolling waves
a strange sense
of fate
worked the day.

Into the night the gale continued...

  Ice groaned
against the bow 
anticipating
a terrible regiment
of stinging winds.

Into the night the gale continued...

Claiming hostages
again
On this day
another boat
went missing.

Into the night the gale continued...

Yesterday's sheath,
laughing today
drifting merrily,
and playing chase 
across the lake.

After this night the gale continued no more.

Hopelessly athwart
 this bright yellow slicker
abandoned and
waiting
for some one's return.



For more Magpie Tales
go here

http://magpietales.blogspot.com/2012/11/mag-144.html

22 comments:

Gail said...

You said it far better than me but I think we were surfing the same thought wave.

Fantastic job! It made me think of the Edmund Fitzgerald...if I spelled that right.

Have a wonderful week.

Carrie Van Horn said...

Beautiful write Karen.....oh how the heart does wait.

Daydreamertoo said...

Oh, I hope it allowed them to go home. So sad to think people are lost at sea and those waiting never know where, or have an real closure.
I never knew that about Lake Superior. Now, I do.
Great response to the prompt.

laurak/ForestWalkArt :) said...

beautiful writing karen...and a cool picture too!

Leovi said...

Magnificent poem, brainstorm. Very pretty.

Susan Anderson said...

What a great take on the prompt. And the intro about Lake Superior made it all the better.

=)

DCW said...

You say it well; that is a lonely garment.

Yvonne Demoskoff said...

As soon as I started to read your post, I thought of two things: Lake Superior's immense size (I once flew over it while travelling on an Air Canada flight, and thought I'd never see the end of this lake) and Gordon Lightfoot's iconic song "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". Great post; well done.

Galen Pearl said...

Moving post. And appropriate today as the weather here was uncharacteristically "squally" and my daughter was out driving in it. I was glad when she got home.

Margaret said...

playing chase, indeed. Have you ever heard of the story "The Christmas Schooner"? True story that takes place upon the Great Lakes. It is also an endearing and amazing musical. The soundtrack is worth buying if you can get your hands on it. Chicago originally did it.

Silent Otto said...

Sounds like the perfect storm engulfed them all, and dead men tell no tales ! . Thanks mate

Dave King said...

Hey, I like the way you've structured this. It works extremely well. Super read.

Lyn said...

So many layers..I can see it, I love that...really touches me!

Jenny Woolf said...

I had never seen that super Andrew Wyeth picture before, so thanks for opening my eyes to it. A good post, as usual..

Unknown said...

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald..... I kept thinking of it as I read your words, Karen.... knowing it was so fresh in your mind. Beautifully told. Thank you for sharing. xo

SilverGardenia said...

I'm sad for the yellow slicker. I hope its someone returns soon. Nice poem.

Unknown said...

Excellent!

Unknown said...

My heart sank thinking of the owner of the coat not returning.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Excellent indeed.

Anna :o]

Unknown said...

I hope you-all are having a wonderful Thanksgiving!

~T~ said...

Oh, no, how long will it wait?

sage said...

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I like that Andrew Wyeth painting and the story you tell--there is something mystical about Lake Superior