Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Good Fences - Verging Seasons Amongst Good Fences


GOOD FENCES

We've been fortunate in my neck of the woods,
 and the weather has been better than ideal.
That has changed, presently it's 18 degrees here.

Brrrrrrrr!

But just last week-

"Now is the time of the illuminated woods, 
every leaf glows like a tiny lamp; 
one walks through their lighted halls 
with a curious enjoyment."

- John Burroughs




Autumn has offered some of the loveliest days of the year-
many of us have been living 24/7 outdoors, well nearly all of us.


You can lay out the patio, alter their levels, for better views and place light posts for evening chats, if you please.  But you'll never be able to control the weather, and in a word, patio gardens across town are open to vast seating once again.  



Yes, that four letter word has taken control and modified most of the neighborhoods around here.


Welcome for now, another winter-wonderland moment, where even Lake Marion appears to be snowy.  It's still open water so far.
That will change.



"The lure of the distant and the difficult is deceptive.  The great opportunity is where you are."
- John Burroughs

Attitude is everything.


So, in honor of winter being the featured season presently, I decided it was time to select my special Elf for this year.



ELVES On a Rope
Live from the 2014 ELVES Convention.

Who will be the winner?

(No elves were hurt for this production!)

Will the real Elf please jump down?




Could it be one of you this year?

By the way, that's genuine snow, on the lad in green.  It seems Alexander, (on the right) thought it was quite necessary to play in the snow.




I spy an intruder do you?

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?" 
-Dr, Seuss


I'm thinking this will be our 2014 Elf of the year.
What do you think?



His pointed Elfish ears are just so adorable, and he sings.


Elf wisdom of the day-
Did you know, Elves apparently do not sleep but rather rest their minds with beautiful thoughts in reverie or looking at fair things?



32 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Karen your Elf of the year is a little scary looking :) Can Dr Zeuss ever be out of place :) I so wish we had snow in Australia :(

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Elves have left the building!
~

Roan said...

Even though I'm not looking forward to winter, that snow scene is amazing!

Vandana Sharma said...

Ah! wintery wintery feelings...............

TexWisGirl said...

brrr! we're freezing this morning in texas, too. but not as cold (or snowy) as you! keep those elves up there, will ya!?

Carola Bartz said...

No snow here... but finally a little bit of rain which I hope will increase.
I like the photo of the lake - hard to imagine though that it will freeze over. That sounds COLD.

Hootin Anni said...

Well then, I must be part elfen! I love looking 'n' dreaming of all things fair.

What a difference a day makes tho...from a balmy Autumn day to winter's cold icy snow. Brrr, indeed. I'm such a wuss.

By the way, I love the reference to 'Illuminated Woods' by Furroughs. I've not read this before.

Like you fences and elves.

Anonymous said...

I love the vivid colours in your pictures. But...are you sure that no elves were hurt?? I am worried now...

Jeanie said...

This is just adorable -- and I love all of the elves, so of course I think you made a fine choice!

Yes, it's almost the elfing season -- such fun, joy, craziness, stress and love! I'm going to my first Christmas workshop tonight!

We're due for only an inch today -- but it's early, so a sign of things to come...

Ruth Kelly said...

Your Elfs are so cute. We had 10 snow flakes fall on Monday and then it stopped. It may snow today or it may just snow on the mountain tops. So far Utah has missed the severe cold and winter storms that the rest of America is experiencing.

LV said...

We are having our first freeze this week. I do not like cold weather, and glad I do not live up north where it snows so much Enjoyed the life of your Elf.

Ida said...

The fallen leaves in the first shot remind me of how it looks here now.
Your Elves on the fence are fun. Can't say I'm excited about winter or the cold though.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

it was a horrible day here raining a lot but no snow. love your fences and elves.

Unknown said...

Although not a real elf, I vote for the Cat in the Hat, he seems a bit uncomfortable (not to say depressed) hanging there by his scarf.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What cute elf photos! I have a rather scary one I just got at the thrift store. I may need to choose an elf for Christmas, too. What fun you're having!

The Silver Fox said...

Love the concept of elves on a rope, for some reason.

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful post and I love your elf decorations and snow also? Wow! Nothing here yet in my part of Virginia but it's turned really cold. Have a great weekend.

Lisa B said...

oh my word - snow already!
Cute elves, I'm just glad none of them got hurt :)
Enjoy your weekend and stay warm.

A Colorful World said...

Nice fences! Cute elves...I like your pick.

Cloudia said...

He's got a slight bad-elf vibe


Ima steal your quotes, Girl! Nice onces today. Loved you post. Like every day!



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

Filip and Kristel said...

Now I understand puppets on a string. Good pictures.

Greetings,
Filip

Debbie said...

I like the first and third, fall then winter, both are beautiful!!

sage said...

Stay warm!

Unknown said...

I must admit that I did know that elves do not sleep.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

NOthing scary about those elves

-Kilroy

Mascha said...

Snow is only on pictures nice!
I'm thankful for our mild weather...
Such wonderful elves - I've never heard or read before about an Elves Convention. May your chosen elf bring luck to your house and garden :-)

FAB said...

18 degrees ... now that's quite warm Karen. It didn't get above 10 degrees here today plus more rain so typical UK autumn weather.

Carletta said...

Love your photos! We haven't had snow but are expecting some tomorrow night.
Your little elves are so whimsical. I have two I have had for years - long before Elf on The Shelf - and I always look forward to taking them out.

Elephant's Child said...

LOVE the Cannon River.
Here we are lurching into summer quickly. Too quickly.
I would love some of your cooler temperatures. A bit of weather moderation would be nice wouldn't it?

Pauline said...

Love your last fence, it suits its setting beautifully.

EG CameraGirl said...

We have snow here this morning, looking quite a bit like the snow in your photo.

Cranberry Morning said...

Cute post, cute elves! You seem to have shoved some of the snow easterly, for we've got piles of it here in NW Wisconsin. :-)