Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Old Time Picwits

SEPIA SATURDAY






My Uncle Horst and his beloved pup 
with my cousin Gesine
before their afternoon stroll.







This window shopping photo, 
blends well for our window theme photo
 for this week's Sepia Saturday.




Photo from Spring Park in Tuscumbia, Alabama.


SATURDAY'S CRITTERS

I believe the one thing I enjoy most about our Sepia Saturday blog,
 is a chance to look back.

My sister Oriana, holding her wedding doll (soon became mine, which I still have today) and there I am in that darling little dress 
with our beloved family dog, Putzel!




Some of these old photos are a wee bit blurry, sorry about that.  Below is a walk in the park with my daddy a perfect way to spend the day.  Surely a reason I still love spending time in parks!




"If you seek creative ideas go walking.
 Angels whisper to a man when he goes for a walk."
Raymond I. Myers


Also, still a big fan of trees and sitting in the park.



(Or rather, not, sitting still.)

My sister Oriana, was playing some game with me.  She loved playing board games, and reading and listening to the Beatles most of all.




Ah yes, "Freshly cut Christmas trees smelling of stars and snow and pine resin
- inhale deeply and fill your soul with wintry night."
John Geddes


"Christmas, children, is not a date, it is a state of mind."
May Ellen Chase




I played around for best results. The above photo taken with my cell phone and the photo below scanned into the computer.


I like looking at these old photos, it brings back all the memories that I was too young to retain.  Apparently, my sister read to me all the time!

"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them."
Lemony Snicket


"There is no substitute for books in the life of a child."
May Ellen Chase

Or dolls and dogs!


"All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk."
Lemony Snicket


I hope you're all enjoying your third day of this new year, and a perfect weekend for all.
Have a great week ahead.

19 comments:

Debbie said...

Awesome vintage images!! I LOVE the swan of lights!!

sage said...

Lovely photos of your childhood. I loved the tinsel on trees, can you still buy it? I remember my mom made us put on strand at a time on the tree and it was so teditious.

Elephant's Child said...

Precious 'rainbow coloured' memories.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Your childhood photos are amazing, Karen.
~

Jofeath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cloudia said...

books and our dogs and trees were my dearest! I love your sharing. thank you, Karen

Sharon said...

Is "Horst" short for anything? Such an unusual name.

Hootin Anni said...

Love the memories here. I too still have my wedding doll. Bet mine's been around longer than yours. LOLOLOL [1959]

Jofeath said...

I agree, you certainly have some lovely old family photos. Your cell phone did a good job on that second last picture!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

Kilroy :)

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I enjoyed your old family photos and I love all the dogs. Wonderful memories. Happy Monday, have a great new week!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you still have loving pictures and memories about your big sister.

@Sharon: Horst is a common name in Germany. Maybe Karen has some German ancestors in her family tree?

Alex Daw said...

Love that photo of you in the park with your dad and that quote about christmas being a state of mind xx

RedPat said...

Fabulous post, Karen!

Lois said...

I love seeing all the old pictures Karen! They remind me of the ones I have of me and my sister when we were little.

Alan Burnett said...

A feast of images for us to enjoy.Thanks.

La Nightingail said...

Love the poem about angels whispering ideas when you're walking. Whenever I'm troubled about something - & this from my pre-teen years - I go for a walk! It's the best way to clear my head & helps me see what the answers might be to what's worrying me! All the pictures are great. I especially like the one with you & your dad in the park. :)

Little Nell said...

Lovely photos - you haven’t changed much Karen!

orchid0324 said...

Happy New Year Dearest Karen;
I LOVED to see your memory pictures♡♡♡ My father had a hobby for camera way more than half a century ago:-) It was lovely to see differences of culture from yours and mine☆☆☆
Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear Japanese friend in America, xoxo Miyako*