Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Friday, August 21, 2020

The Long Shadow Post

 This post is for Write...Edit...Publish

and the WEP August 2020 Challenge




No description available.

I thought the most beautiful thing was sunshine,

until I met my friendly shadow.

How did I know it was friendly you ask? It followed me everywhere.

 Blazing shafts of  sunlight dropping shadows in random ways.

Incessant streams of sunlight casting shadows never yawning, stretching in selective rays.

Beams of light stained the sky illuminating thin strips of sunlight slipping between each cloud.

A foreshadow of  it's former self these shadows placed upon earth,

as if previewing what was yet to arrive before nightfall's darkening screen.


One cannot be in the sunshine without shadows

they follow you everywhere on earth.

They trust your every move and the shadow always wins.

If you were to try and escape it, you'd fail.

Escape it, whatever for, I embrace it.

Shadow your shadow without fail.

Just as the clever dog catches his shadow

so shall I.

No description available.


Words: 143


Thank you for stopping by.

You can join in as well by using the Link in the beginning of this post.





22 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Love the shadows shots, cute pup! Enjoy your day, happy weekend!

Cloudia said...

Always worthwhile to see what you're up to Karen. ♥️

Christopher Scott Author said...

A well-flowing narrative, that captures the essence of the relationship between humanity and the shadows. Well done, Karen.

Elephant's Child said...

I am THRILLED that you have joined WEP. And how right you are. We need our shadows.

Jemi Fraser said...

Love it! We are linked with our shadows and you've celebrated that connection!

Olga Godim said...

The dog and its shadow - what a charming photo. Love you little poem.

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

I loved this. It was sweet and lighthearted. Thank you for sharing it.

Denise Covey said...

Welcome to WEP, Karen. So glad you saw Sue's post and decided to join in the fun. What beautiful shadow shots. And I so loved your poem. Quite a few poems this challenge. 'Shadow your shadow without fail.' Great advice!

Nilanjana Bose said...

Lovely shots and fun poem! Shadows are our constant companions so that's sensible to embrace them. Reminded me of the story of the man who sold his shadow to the devil and was shunned by everybody because they felt weird in his presence. Your poem makes the case for normality, and happiness in it. Thank you for sharing it at WEP.

sage said...

Nice writings. And you picked perfect pictures for illustration.

www.thepulpitandthepen.com

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
I love my shadow too and even now as I grow older there is the creative kid in me that still tries to catch her shadow.

Your poetic take on this prompt is engaging. It drew me in to think of all the lovely times I've had with my shadow.

Thank you and welcome to the WEP.
It is nice having you here.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat Garcia

Toi Thomas said...

Nice. I like the sound of a friendly shadow. Cool pictures. Sweet entry.

L.G. Keltner said...

Welcome to WEP! This was a fun poem to read. It's true that we can't be in the sun without shadows. Let's all embrace our shadows! I'm glad you joined in.

Yolanda Renée said...

A reminder of the comfort we all found in our shadows as kids. Well done!

Bernadette said...

Shadows are fun! I still try to catch them too.

Edix said...

Interesting imagery.

Sally said...

A lovely take on the prompt. Made me smile.

Sanhita Mukherjee said...

Nice expression of shadows and inevitability of it when sun shines.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - our shadow is our chief supporter isn't it ... thank goodness for her sometimes! Love the tale and the dog catching its shadow ... great to see your entry - take care - Hilary

Donna Hanton said...

So often we see shadows as menacing, so this was a refreshing take. Our shadow should be our friend; they're always there with us when the sun come out!

Jamie said...

Lots of good happiness in this one! Love it.

Sonia Dogra said...

We often forget to celebrate our shadows, hankering after the sunlight. What an apt post. I'm sorry I checked it up really late.