Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Saturday, August 22, 2020

Laughing Meerkats


"I love learning new things that will never be put to practical use."

Jackson Rathbone


 Good morning and welcome to

SATURDAY'S CRITTERS


First meet the Happy Birthday pups!



Meet Emme

and below is Bugsly



These pups belong to the kiddos (my grandchildren) below, who all happen to be celebrating their mother's birthday in the state of Washington! So I get to puppy-sit again!



Let the critters begin.

There's something about looking into the eyes of Meerkats, for me, they just warm my heart.

Meerkats are catlike carnivores that are a part of civets and mongoose family.

Can you believe that Meerkats are quite shy? 

Meerkat: I'm pretending to be a Prairie Dog.


Visiting a Zoo allows us to meet those animals we might never see up close.


Some folks may call me a prankster. You know scaring people from behind, or giving them that eye we're so good at! But we're social, diurnal and live in gangs of 2 to 50, forging for food, caring for our young and guarding our territory.


So especially since Covid-19 came into our lives and my face to face visits with my grandchildren diminished drastically through texts I asked them to capture various things.  Like, "Go outside and take a photo of something that catches your eye."


So I'm sharing some of Karina's photos for my critter post today. Enjoy.

No description available.

My grand-daughter Karina, she loves being a dancer, but she's also a huge fan of sharing her bird and nest photos with me!

As a matter of fact she takes a lot of pictures!

No description available.

Under her deck this spring she discovered a Robin's nest!

and so she kept watch over it.


No description available.

You can imagine her enthusiasm when she discovered the eggs hatched!


No description available.

Of course she had to share a photo of the mother Robin!

One of the greatest and simplest tools for learning more and growing more is doing more. 

Washington Irving



and so what I believe of these Meerkats is this, taken from the words of Matshona Dhliwayo

I have a small message but a big audience.

I have a small title but a big education.

I have a small purse but a big gift.

Animals teach us more than they'll ever learn from us.

A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles.

Washington Irving


Thanks for stopping by today.

Take good care of you.


11 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Karen,
Happy Birthday to the grand-dogs. They are cuties! I hope they got a special treat for their birthdays. Your grand-daughter is sweet, she has a pretty smiles The meerkat is a cute critter. A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, your post has made me smile. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, have a great weekend.

Debbie said...

the pups are adorable, but the grandkids steal the show!!

karina is adorable, and how nice that she loves photography, following in her grandma's footsteps!!

Hootin Anni said...

Awwww, adorable birthday puppies! Each and every one. Love the nest images too. What a heart warming post today...You posted "Animals teach us more than they'll ever learn from us." So true, so true.

RedPat said...

Birthday pups are much nicer than a card!

Elephant's Child said...

Lovely, lovely photos. All of them.
Thank you.
And to add to your meerkat facts. They have sharp teeth and are happy to use them. One of my brothers volunteers at a local zoo. He tells me that the meerkat keepers have ALL been bitten and several have needed stitches. And the meerkats are much loved still.

Cloudia said...

ADORING You dear KAREN!

Jeanie said...

Oh, those birds! I love the sweet dogs, the meercats, everything!

Anu said...

Hello.
Lovely post. It is so great that your grand-daughter also photographed!
Take care.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Happy Birthday to the dogs and very pretty the grand-daughter Karina!
Wonderul postwith Photos!
Greetings Elke

Rain said...

Ohhhhhh Happy Birthday Emme and Bugsly!!! I had two pugs...Winston and Spencer...they've both passed away, but they remain a big part of my heart! :) Your meerkat photos are great! :)

PerthDailyPhoto said...

What a totally delightful post Karen, loved every part of it. Your grand-dogs are adorable, sweet wee faces 💙 Your granddaughter is lovely and already has an eye for an excellent image. Meerkat antics always make me smile 😊