Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Thematic Photographic # 161 - White

What is happening here?   Thematic Photographic and our theme this week is
WHITE.......Yes you read that as whitely as I could write it!  If you want to play along bring your white photos, since Carmi from Written Inc. who hosts this fun Thematic Photographic mentioned he's a bit uneasy about shooting white....and he's quite eager to see what we can bring to the WHITE show!

So if you want to let your own white shine upon us go here

http://writteninc.blogspot.com/2011/09/thematic-photographic-161-white.html

My first WHITE photo is of a charming Post Office not too far away.....and hopefully it doesn't get the axe!  Please save snail mail!

This Post Office in Castle Rock is definitely painted a bright white...although some of the other whites may have a different point of view....a lot of white going on here.....even the car is white!

"A friendship can weather most things and thrive in this soil; but it needs a little mulch of letters and phone calls and small, silly presents every so often."  - Pam Brown


White is a challenge to capture honestly.....especially depending on the light you're shooting in.....Just for TP I shot one photo of a very bright white car this morning (taken from inside the garage!)

A shot by morning light of white is such a delight- but cries of more than white...

Hmmm, looks like a good trunk to pack away all those white things like Carmi mentioned .... they say we shouldn't wear after Labor Day, I too, wonder who they are?!

A dose of afternoon sunshine can change the color of any white car sitting inside the garage


Now it's almost showing it's true color!..but still not the real color yet...

Should we try the outside?
Because what doesn't shine a bit more with a little more light on the white subject?


Yep, I told you it was a bright white!


Moving along to another day filled with fluffy cotton balls...

I'm a dreamer.  I have to dream and reach for the stars, and if I miss a star then I grab a handful of clouds. - Mike Tyson

and while we're on the subject of white as our theme.....let's not forget about the clothes we wear....


Yes!  He's wearing the Clorox shirt!...on his right, she surely doesn't use Clorox, (or the lady behind him!) and the King's Armoury building is spanky white, while the awning is a bit on the dusty white shade......oh so many whites unite!

Then we discover another style of white


Oh, mud castles and frog days
sweet memories of dirt and mud
mushed together
a joy that stays forever dirty until
that dear mud you're wearing
is washed away!

I present for you, Woman Dressed in Tatters, sculpting MUD CASTLES in ...well, the MUD!

At my first glance of the Mud Lady, she's sporting a bit more white than you might believe.....but....

give her a bit more time to play in the mud, just a wee bit later and....


The beauty of dirt and earth, and the highest form of creation ever shaped upon our earth by our own Mud Lady just for you!

DON'T Laugh, this really is relaxing.......and quite adventurous!

I'll close with a real refreshing sparkling, clean bright white.....


Monday's clouds.....
I don't know if you were as lucky as where I live.....but the clouds around here were just the biggest draw.......It was tough not looking up all day long .......  Okay some really awesome trees just grew out of no where to be in this photo....


Okay one more cloud view.... from Sunday


You must not blame me if I talk to the clouds. -Henry David Thoreau  and You must not blame me if I keep shooting the clouds, - ME  .....no idea who any of these random Rennfest people were, but why aren't they checking out the clouds?

Come on people!

I hope you enjoyed my post of white, and remember the clouds over your head and the wonderful depth they carry......have a blessed shorter week!

20 comments:

Max Sartin said...

That's a bunch of white you got going there. I love the Post Office, I hope they don't close it, and even worse would to have it demolished. The clock with the clouds is great too, love the perspective on that one. Your car pictures remind me of a project in a Photography class I took at the university. We were supposed to photograph a white egg on a white background, and all we could use to hold it up was white salt. We had to play with the exposures and developing to get true white, with enough detail to see what was there. Hard project. But your photos are great.

Karen S. said...

Max- thanks, I'd like to try that project, it sounds hard but kind of fun too!...still trying to figure out how you'd go about holding it up with white salt!

Max Sartin said...

You should try it, I enjoyed playing around until I got the right exposure. To hold up the egg you need to make a pile of salt big enough to hold the egg and then smoosh the egg down into it. That was half the project, getting the right amount of salt, enough to hold it but not so much it draws your attention to it. Good luck!

Karen S. said...

Max - Thanks! Seriously I think I'll give it a try!

A Paperback Writer Photos said...

Where is that white, metallic tree? I like that.

Karen S. said...

Writer, it's at the Minnesota Zoo! I liked your white TP post as well, and are you sure the 2nd to last photo isn't ice cream?! LOL the wedding photo is pretty awesome too! I like that town!

darlin said...

What a variety of shades of white, you were very creative with your shots and subjects, I love it! The post office is cute, it seems like a very small building but looks like it serves its purpose. I LOVE the clock in the 5th photo.

Enjoy the rest of your week, classes start up again tomorrow so I'm not sure how often I'll be able to visit blogs but I'll be back when I can. Take care.

Bob Scotney said...

What you did with the car is interesting; you have a great white post. Now where can I find some salt? More to the point I haven't seen a white egg for years. I think Max has started something for us both.

Gilly said...

I love your shots of the car - they are not easy to do and you have done them so well. The Post Office is great - I hope they don't close it - so many of ours have closed I have to go miles to find one now.

But ours aren't white like yours!

Karen S. said...

Bob S. I hope you do try the egg project...I got a bit hooked on it myself!

Max- okay I got my egg project complete! check it out here

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2011/09/thematic-photographic-161-white-egg.html

Little Nell said...

Clouds are wonderful, whether in white or tinged by the sun. Lovely collection of whiteness!

Alexia said...

what an interesting collection of shots, Karen! Great job. I LOVE the little post office... and Castle Rock - that's where the movie Stand by Me was set :)

Max Sartin said...

Stand by Me - I love that show. I have it on DVD and watch it at least once every couple months. I can just picture that post office in their town in the movie.

Karen S. said...

Max and Alexia, I'm such a Youtube freak after reading Stand by Me I had to take a quick dose of the movie right after reading Alexia brought it back to memory! thanks...the clip had all the highlights...so cool and quite meaningful movie too! Really!

Barbara said...

All of these shots show so many of the shades of white, from white color and white light perspectives. Terrific post. I enjoyed the comments, too, and will now have to pile up some salt and find an egg --- and a white surface. Sounds like a fun exercise, Max!

Max Sartin said...

Yeah! Another egg convert. I'm looking forward to seeing all the egg shots.

Karen S. said...

Barb Yes! Thanks! I hope you do and please post the link here too so I can see it too! Thanks too for stopping by!

carmilevy said...

No one shoots with such a delightful sense of diversity as you. I always feel like you're taking us on some wonderful journey, and we get to watch through your lens.

I found it neat that you shot the Impala. I rented one while we were on vacation, and I can definitely vouch for the trunk. It's huge!

They also make these cars not all that far from me, in Oshawa, Ontario. It's a big point of pride every time we drive by on the way to visit family in Montreal.

Karen S. said...

Carmi, Thanks Carmi you made me blush...and the Impala that one was just visiting but I kept it's brother or is it sister? A color I may play with...later as it's a mix of is it gold is ?????? So many shades in this lifetime, then throw in a different light...the fun goes on and on! Have a great week!

carmilevy said...

Thanks Karen! I'll try to serve up themes that kickstart all sorts of new explorations for us all.

Which reminds me...I'd better start mulling over what comes next. Hmmm...

I'm thinking fruits and vegetables. Does that sound like a fun one?