Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Monday, September 19, 2011

Thematic Photographic # 163 Eat your Veggies

This is A Thematic Photographic Post! 

Hooray for ........... being healthy, in our theme this week as Carmi has announced "Eat your Veggies!".....

If you want to post your own yummy veggies go here
http://writteninc.blogspot.com/2011/09/thematic-photographic-163-eat-your.html

This is an exciting theme with all the confusion about is it a 'fruit' or a 'vegetable' depending on the usage!  It seems the truth is the seeds, or the ovaries in the base of the flower!


But even then, there are discrepancies, such as tomatoes or bean pods, may fall under the veggie list because they are used in savoury rather than sweet cooking.  

So I begin with something that has become a veggie but began as a fruit.

Any guesses?

What once was a fruit (cucumber), soon became pickled and now mixed with onions, and peppers it has become a vegetable as well!

Oh for the love of sweet delicious home-made pickles...
...Did you know that Cleopatra attributed some of her fascinating beauty to eating pickles?


"Hunger is the best pickles,"  Benjamin Franklin

No confusion here......"veggies!" .....as it is today still growing in the field by the pole barn.....

This batch of rhubarb just grows fancy free and never gets picked...

and while there are some people still gathering what vegetables they can from their gardens..... just today I picked these....

 

and I had a helper...... My special photo of the day........after the picking comes the licking.... or so Monster seems to think!


Monster is worried he may not get any, but does he really want some?

Don't forget to check out Carmi's Thematic Photographic at Written Inc.  !

15 comments:

Max Sartin said...

Ok, this theme is making me very hungry, Great pickled cukes and peppers. And teh cat and the berries is adorable!

Cloudia said...

Monster, cute!


Warm Aloha from Waikiki;

Comfort Spiral


> < } } ( ° >



><}}(°>

A Paperback Writer Photos said...

Pickles! Yea!

Alexia said...

ohhh delicious pickles! this makes my mouth water.... I definitely have a sharp tooth (opposite of 'sweet tooth') - much rather have a pickle than some cake or whatever.

isn't rhubarb a fruit? it is here ;)

Karen S. said...

For Writer! All great veggies, Dad's plate is so nicely decorated! Very cool....cute little Keenan and I think I remember seeing those naked baby carrot jockeys when you posted them before...I think they really rock!

Karen S. said...

Alexia, they are very delicious too....hard to stop eating them too! ...and I'm glad you brought up the fruit issue with rhubarb, over here it's listed as a vegetable although, I'm sure some will argue that as well...especially those who like to put them in salads...or pies...

Max, Monster is adorable, but highly protective, possibly because he's an outdoor Tom!

Alan Burnett said...

Thanks for such an entertaining post - and for pointing me towards a thematic photograph meme I can join in with this week

Gilly said...

Great pickles! Makes me want to try making some!

And rhubarb is a fruit here - you make it into pies or crumbles, with lots of sugar!

Karen S. said...

Alan- Yes! Please do! You'll just love playing along and viewing all the other very creative twists and turns that always come about! Can't wait to see yours!

Gilly- I tried looking at your post on TP but kept getting an ad....repost ok?

Little Nell said...

Oh I love home made pickles and chutneys. Your display is so mouthwatering too. Now how come you haven’t made rhubarb chutney (or jam)?

Limarea said...

Great pics, making me hungry :)

darlin said...

Your last photo is adorable!

Bob Scotney said...

I'm getting very confused by what's a fruit and what is a vegetable. What the hell, who cares as long as you can eat it? We have the reference books out.
Entertaining as usual Karen.

carmilevy said...

I've always wanted to make my own pickles. My uncles did, but they never had a chance to pass it down. I think I need to go online and figure it out for myself. It seems like such a wonderful way to be self sustaining.

Monster looks like he's like a big cat hug!

carmilevy said...

Oops..."he'd", not "he's".

Sheesh, I can't type today! Sorry.