Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Sepia Saturday - 30 March 2013

"Look here, Sammy, if this is coffee, I want tea; but if this is tea, then I wish for coffee."


Is it me, or is anyone else feeling a bit under the weather?  As far as moods go?  Not that it's a total doom and gloom world, but something is afoot out there, and it's a tad more than just cabin fever!

SPRING could change all that I just know it!  So, while I'm feeling under the spell of whatever, I'm on theme, without family photos to match Alan's photo (below) yet his theme did strike a familiar beat with me.












Oh so delicious!






While there's nothing better than spending the afternoon sipping tea at an outdoor cafe, or being a gent about town searching for such a sight, I'm thinking there's so much more.  Perhaps, something a bit more intriguing for our thought palette!


Yes, these lovely and totally fashionable ladies are most certainly not, writing the next top ten novel.  Yet, you know they're putting something juicy together; just by the way the lady tipping her head is smiling.




Alan's theme photo points in the direction of coffee drinkers, but also, I see writers.





Whether you call these places pubs, bars, café, or coffeehouses they're still all meeting places, usually.  Waterholes to dampen your dryness.  Sure there are folks that frequent these places to be alone.  Really? Why not just stay home then? 

But, for writers they are meant to be a meeting of the minds.  To share bits and fragments of what stirs their soul.  I once belonged to the Minneapolis Writer's Group, but I wasn't any closer to being published just by being there.

We were fellow comrades that carried words as swords and daggers of numerous chapters to slay any dragon editor tempting our worthy tales.

 






There will always be folks simply visiting or reading their life away while sipping coffee, and sharing stories.


But, back in the day, (which still exists today) it's a place for writers to mingle and share their life's work, dreams, fantasies, memories... you name it they share it, and spread their desires openly.

Remember Jack Kerouac and the Beat Generation that were very popular in the 50's and 60's?




They started out as a small group of writing friends.  Novelists, Jack Kerouac and John Clellon Holmes were the prominent members, which also included Allen Ginsberg, Neal Cassady, William S. Burroughs, Gregory Corso and Herbert Huncke.  Their group expanded after their move San Francisco adding, Gary Snyder, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Philip Whalen, Michael McClure and Lew Welch.  Do you recall any or all of those writers?





Beginning at bottom left Gregory Corso (cap) Larry Rivers, Jack Kerouac, David Amram and Alan Ginsberg.
 



So many tales circulate, and stories of woe still follow the "Beat Generation" but I like to remember them for the words they tossed across those tables while sipping coffee and chasing dreams.
 
 
 

Many of us have been caught in their moment-
and still are if we're lucky.





Let me jot that down before I forget it.




I can't believe he brought his typewriter.  Can't he ever leave home without it?







John Steinbeck

"It is a common experience that a problem difficult at night is resolved in the morning after the committee of sleep has worked on it. Time is the only critic without ambition." - John Steinbeck


So many writers, so little time to grasp them all, unless we take the time to uncover them all.
 
 
 
 


By Shel Silverstein- and his book, "Where the Sidewalk Ends" - "Listen to the mustn'ts, child.  Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts.  Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me.  Anything can happen, child.  Anything can be."


...and then their was that troubled soul, Sylvia Plath.....





She wrote from her heart of hearts.
 










It seems you don't need to wander far, these coffee shops are everywhere.
(can you spot the telephone sign in this photo?)





Then again sometimes when you've had your fill of coffee, you realize you need a bit more jazz in your step.....



Then why not
enjoy a glass of wine?


For more Sepia Saturday posts go here

http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2013/03/sepia-saturday-170-30-march-2013.html
 

14 comments:

tony said...

Have I Told You Sylvia is buried a mile from where I live?And have I shared these photos i took of her grave.Her hubby,Ted Hughes,was born locally....
Ah Jack Kerouac! another American Wizard!

JJ said...

You make me long to return to Europe! If I had a time machine, I would hit Paris during the 1920s and write, write, write. Great photos!

Unknown said...

Sylvia Plath, Virginia Woolf, both lives ended very tragic.

A 'coffee shop' means something completely different in Holland: a place to buy marijuana. When you want to drink coffee please go to a coffeehouse.

Unknown said...

@Tony: thank you, interesting photos. The old church tower enhances the parochial vibe.

Brett Payne said...

I learned to type on a typewriter like that, albeit two-fingeredly. Another interesting collection of images, thank you.

Mike Brubaker said...

Coffee is a beverage fad that really only dates from the 1700s. Same for tea. Caffeine was not a prop for earlier writers as it was for modern authors. What does it do for bloggers?

Alan Burnett said...

Another great selection of words and images. When I first looked at that first photograph, for a moment I thought that the woman on the right was talking on a mobile phone! And then I realised that was a silly thought.

Bob Scotney said...

I only know one coffee shop where I could go to write and that's the one (Elliotts) I've shown. All the rest just want you in and out.
Great images as usual Karen.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Karen, I sure hope that your snow melts and your spirits rise. There is a lot going on, too much, and for the past year I have stopped watching the news.

I love your post! You put a lot of work into it. I think that my next book to read will be a John Steinbeck, and I'm going to pull out my copy of Where the Sidewalk Ends and read about the chick who would not take the garbage out to some little kids.

Hugs,

Kathy M.

Little Nell said...

That's funny, I thought the woman on the left was texting. Perhaps Alan was right! The Beat generation passed me by I'm afraid, although I have heard of Ginsberg. Plath is another matter, and by co-incidence I was listening to a radio programme about her yesterday, and heard her voice; she was talking about her novel, The Bell Jar. I hadn't realised she was only thirty when sjhe killed herself. Thanks to Tony too for the interesting link.

Little Nell said...

That's funny, I thought the woman on the left was texting. Perhaps Alan was right! The Beat generation passed me by I'm afraid, although I have heard of Ginsberg. Plath is another matter, and by co-incidence I was listening to a radio programme about her yesterday, and heard her voice; she was talking about her novel, The Bell Jar. I hadn't realised she was only thirty when sjhe killed herself. Thanks to Tony too for the interesting link.

K said...

Made me long for a table where I could eavesdrop!

Kathy said...

Somehow I posted without finishing my name!

Bruno Laliberté said...

When I drink coffee, I better be alone as I like it hot!! If I were talking, it'd get cold and I'd get pissed...

A glass of wine is something that makes me more sociable and talkative.
I'll have the red wine though...
:)~
HUGZ