Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Sepia Saturday - 29 June 2013

Caves is it?  Well, when all else falls, why not take a vacation and locate a cave?  It sure may help to cool ourselves off in an underground cave.

SEPIA SATURDAY


I'm thinking Little Nell's theme for this week is begging for a road trip.  Besides, summer is a perfect time to getaway.  So, why not follow along in with my mini-vacation.



 
 
Of course, for many of you just now joining my mini vacation you'll need to reach Minnesota first.  So, here are a few options.
 
 

 
Northwest Airlines, always an excellent choice.
 
Here's an oldie but always a smooth ride.
 
 
 
 
 
OR,
 
 
Surely, booking a cruise is a most enjoyable choice.
 
 
Biking isn't a bad idea.
 
 

It's a healthy choice.
 
 
 
 
I know some of you may decide to drive.
 

If I owned a 1956 Oldsmobile Golden Rocket, I'd drive here too!
(But, I might never leave the Oceanside.)
 
 
 
 
 
Don't forget to bring you family dog along too.  Just remember their leash.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A few of you may have to travel a bit to board transportation to America.
 
 
Like one of these.
 
 
 
 
 
Please though, whatever you decide upon, once you arrive in Minnesota pay close attention to any farm land you may care to romp about.  Very often, especially here in Minnesota we take great joy in having random animals running about free.
 
 

You just never know which animal you may surprise!
 
 
Some are known to silently slip out of the water and take cover on shore.
 
 
They aren't looking to frighten tourists, but they can be alarmed.  Trust me, it's never a good idea to startle a moose.
 
 
 
 
Also, it's,
Very important to book your hotel, motel or cabin accommodations as things tend to get filled rather quickly during the summer months.
 
 
 
 
Or you'll be driving to Minneapolis for a good night's rest.
 
 
 
 
Or some other suburb of Minneapolis, like Anoka, Minnesota.
 
 
 
VACATION TIME
 
What you all came here for.
 
Inside the Mystery Cave 



 
Explore the underground world of Mystery Cave with its stalactites, stalagmites, and underground pools.
 






 
 
So worth it right?
 
 

Once you've had your fill of underground caves, you can bike or hike around the many trails, or take a trip to town.







Here's a good example from back in the day along the streets of one neighboring town around The Mystery Caves.



Not to worry for those of you that crave a delicious (non-greasy) burger when you're hungry.




Or you can dine inside as well.







Oh yes, and plenty of friendly churches to visit as well.


There's an endless supply of other tourist accommodations too.  Or just put up your tent.
 
 
 
Then you can meet your new neighbors.
Share a few laughs, pass a few beers, roast marshmallows and create friends for life.
 
 
 
 
So the choice of transportation is really up to you.
 

Just be sure to pack plenty of clothes, as the evenings can get a bit chilly, when they're not extremely humid.  You must understand Minnesota weather.  It can go from high 70's to a snow storm in the blink of an eye!
 




So are you going to just


stay seated around your television sets sipping Root Beer and pretend to be reading the paper, or come along with me? 
It's your choice.


For more Sepia Saturday posts
go here

http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2013/06/sepia-saturday-183-29-june-2013.html

22 comments:

Little Nell said...

Phew!! I'm exhausted after all that. It was fun trying out all those different modes of transport though. Thanks for the ride Karen.

Gail said...

What a beautiful cave...one of my weaknesses, too.

Cloudia said...

Wonderful!

Aloha

Yvonne Demoskoff said...

Loved all those 50s-60s photos, Karen! The only vehicle that really brought back memories among your choices was the "Bug". My Dad had a 69 Volkswagen Beetle, and we were a family of 5 - lol.

Filip and Kristel said...

These old vehicles are very special.

Greetings,
Filip

Kristin said...

I've never been to Minnesota but judging from my years in Michigan I think you forgot to mention something important - the mosquitoes!

My choice of transportation would be the comfy bed in the cruise ship, although I cannot get from here to there on a boat.

Brett Payne said...

I rather fancy a ride in that Oldsmobile, but I suspect I wouldn't fit in it. Spectacular photos of the caves - look what can be done without coloured lighting.

Nigel Aspdin (Derby, UK) said...

Are you on a commission from exploreminnesota.com ?

Alex Daw said...

I'm with Kristin - I'll take the cruise. Those caves look fabulous.

La Nightingail said...

Like 'they' say, "Getting there is half the fun." And it was - a fun post. Loved the old pictures. Brought back a lot of memories!

Barbara Rogers said...

You sure shuffled the deck and brought out lots of otherwise-unconnected pictures.

Sharon said...

An interesting ride.

How I would love that first sign in my collection.

Alan Burnett said...

That's unfair Karen! I am just about recovering from my jet-lag and there you go starting me off again. Lovely post.

JJ said...

Fantastic photos, as usual. After much deliberation, I'll go with the moose. They are magnificent creatures. We had quite a few residing on our property when we lived in New Hampshire.

As for caves, I love them. Although I have done quite a bit of spelunking, I have never been to Carlsbad Caverns. It is high on my list.

anyjazz said...

A fine post. I visit Lake Woebegon every Saturday.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

Loved all the photos and that Oldsmobile. Ooohlala.

Joan said...

The golden rocket is my downfall. I'm with Helen, Ooohlala!!!!

Tattered and Lost said...

Oh oh oh!!! The flying car! They promised we'd have flying cars. I remember this image. I think it might have been in a Reader's Digest in the 50s. I so hoped someday "they'd" deliver and we'd have these flying cars. Now the mere thought of road rage in the sky above my house makes me thankful the flying cars never took off.

sage said...

Great photos, thanks for the mini-vacation.

Unknown said...

The state should be paying you for this!

Bruno Laliberté said...

Find me a spacecraft,
and I'll hover about your neighborhood!!!
:D~
HUGZ

Bob Scotney said...

I never did take a liking to North West and have to settle for Delta now instead. I'd need several days rest after the exhausting travelling before tackling your caves.