Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Saturday, March 9, 2019

Chicago






Chicago, Chicago, that toddlin town, Chicago, Chicago I will show you around. 





The Willis Tower, John Hancock Center, Cloud Gate, DuSable Bridge, (Michigan Avenue Bridge) Wrigley Building and the Big Red.

This last Christmas Santa brought this Lego Architecture series featuring Chicago to Danny and this last weekend he said to me,

 "Grandma if you can put this together I'll give you ten dollars!" 

He was serious. Of course I'm still a gigantic Lego fan and nobody will ever need to pay me to build.

We were surprised once I opened the box. Perhaps I was thinking the pieces would be a different size, I mean 444 pieces does not make a very large set in any Lego adventure. To be honest I believe the cost for this series goes more  toward the colorful booklet that details everything about your set along with outstanding captures of each building.  But in all fairness, (I knew this before Danny saw the finished product) "Wow, that's really small!"

The series is geared more for adults to display on their desks or bookshelves at work or around the house.


So much to see in Chicago.


Speaking of cool animals in and around Chicago
and posting for 


welcome.



Giraffes at the Chicago Zoo.


Aim high.
Stand tall
and get spotted.




One of my most favorite places to visit is the Field Museum of Natural History
in Chicago and my first visit there was on my sixth grade school field trip (we rode the train there from Lansing, Michigan and took the bus home) 
 I remember that adventurous trip like it was only yesterday.
 Best school field trip ever!





All this thinking about Chicago gives me the urge to plan another trip there.   Soon, very soon.



Sculpture Batcolumn 
at Harold Washington Social Security Building Chicago.



Flamingo Sculpture
by Alexander Calder 



Water (docks with parking available) and a bit of Chicago skyline.
What a gorgeous city.


But for now, I'll be happy with visiting
 a few of my favorite places
right here in good old
wintry Minnesota.


Speaking of favorite places I read this quote 
that really makes me think.

Note: some of his quotes I find myself silently correcting 
or adding in other words.

"Someday, men will visit ideas instead of places."
Toba Beta from, My Ancestor Was an Ancient Astronaut 

Yet honestly don't most places begin from ideas?

Here's another quote by Toba that makes me think.

"Eyes can only capture object that already seen in mind.
And mind can only see things that already written in heart."



I'm so happy you stopped in.
Take good care of you.



12 comments:

Cloudia said...

You took us on a Ferris Bueller adventure,K!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Chicago looks like a fun place to visit. I would enjoy the zoo and the museum.
I love the giraffes. The Flamingo sculpture is cool. Legos are fun too. Beautiful photos. Winter will be over soon. Thanks so much for linking up. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day! Have a great new week ahead. PS, thanks also for the nice comment on my blog.

Hootin Anni said...

Everything is quite impressive. The last time I was there (years ago) I remember such a dirty city...this, you shared, is beautiful.

Clicking on your comment in my blog took me to your Feb 2nd post...dunno why?

Sandi said...


What does the lion stand for?

Jeanne said...

Very nice shots! i am from Chicago originally so really enjoyed your shots!

Jeff (Sage) said...

If you can't make it to Chicago, thanks to Lego you can bring it to you, is that the message? :)

I love Chicago, especially the area along the river.

-Sage

noexcuses said...


I have been living in a Chicago suburb for about six years and have yet to see some of the places you have so wonderfully captured. Your pictures make me want to visit more...once the weather turns a little nicer, I think I will! To answer Sandi's question about the "Lion" I checked it out because I had no idea. Interesting finding at www.statuestorieschicago.com/statue-lions.php. This City is steeped in rich history and one could spend a very long time discovering it. Thank you for portraying some wonderful places to visit!

RedPat said...

I've never been to Chicago but that Calder piece always draws me so one day…..!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I'm trying to think, if I've ever sat around thinking about Chicago.

(maybe after the news...and the nightly death toll there.)

21 Wits said...

Ah yes the lovely lions Sandi, they are the Lions of Michigan Avenue outside Chicago's Art Institute and I especially had to photograph them, (I took several of them) since my oldest son has a fondness for lions.

21 Wits said...

I feel sad for the folks that let crime in Chicago keep them away, because their fear is allowing them to miss some special memories and moments from and within Chicago. My daughter, long time friend and myself took the train to Chicago, we walked (a lot) or used public transportation everywhere, including the L transportation all without incident and our hotel was right downtown!

21 Wits said...

Sage, yes kind of! I will always be a fan of Chicago too, so I'm happy we're fairly close to it too!