Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Sculpture is the Art of Intelligence

Welcome everyone to Shafer Minnesota
and
Franconia Sculpture Park
and I'm including 

First- before you begin your journey,

"You must forget all your theories, 
all your ideas before the subject.
What part of these is really your own
will be expressed in your expression
of the emotion awakened in you by the subject."
Henri Matisse








Sunbathing time.


This sculpture reminds me of a streetlamp on steroids.



"To look at something as though we have never seen it before
requires great courage."
Henri Matisse


This piece is titled Don't Live Life in the Doorway
by Kevin Vanek



Stop, if your thoughts are too reasonable at best 
you'll miss a most mythical and magical,
 monster in dragon thought 
but quite possibly lurks here
as if flowered much darker by your thinking
 while these pieces your drinking
in may 
foster yet
 another kind of resemblance that 
sings wildly in your heart of hearts.


The tubing are remnants from the Korean War.




I call this area Mirror Row.



"The mirror is the worst judge of true beauty."
Sophia Nam

"Don't wait for inspiration.
 It comes while one is working."
Henri Matisse






Jenga anyone?

"Art making is not about telling the truth but making the truth felt."
Christian Boltanski



Hmm, it does seem as though I've lost my head.



"No not really here I am," said the lost head.


"Most people are like a falling leaf that drifts and turns
in the air, flutters, and falls to the ground.
But a few others are like
stars which travel one defined path:
no wind reaches them
they have within themselves their guide and path."
Hermann Hesse


How about a visit to Arizona?




Be a cactus in a world of delicate flowers.





"A discovery is said to be an accident 
meeting a prepared mind."
Albert Szent-Gyorgyi



"Instinct must be thwarted just as one prunes the 
branches of a tree so that it will grow better."
Henri Matisse


Giddy up partner!



"I have been and still am a seeker,
but I have ceased to question stars and books;
I have begun to listen to the teaching
my blood whispers to me."
Hermann Hesse

After viewing just a wee fraction of the sculpture art that covers 43 acres I hope that you felt your way through.



As I was ready to drive away this pine cone sculpture was in clear view, and I had to smile as I watched a teenager rubbing it for good luck. There are still believers among us.

Thanks for stopping in and taking this sculpture tour.
Take good care of you.


"Discovery is seeing what everybody else has seen,
and thinking what nobody else has thought."
Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

8 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The sculpture park and tour looks like a fun way to spend the day. Each sculpture is interesting and it is nice that the park is free and open every day of the year. I enjoyed the photos and all the quotes.
Take care! Wishing you a happy day!

RedPat said...

This tour you gave us was a nice break from all of the bad news there is everywhere.

Hootin Anni said...

Wow. I do enjoy tours like this. I would have fun checking them out in person, more detail. The sunbather reminded me of a sand sculpture I saw on one of our beaches. Lots of pizzazz here today fun.

Hope you can find time to participate in the scavenger hunt.

Elephant's Child said...

LOVED your sculpture tour. Thank you for taking us with us - and for joining in the fun with a brilliant use of the Words for Wednesday prompts.

Jeanie said...

These are pretty cool -- and I really love the quotes!

Jeff said...

Interesting sculptures, great quotes (when I was younger, I read most of Herman Hesse's writings)

www.thepulpitandthepen.com

PerthDailyPhoto said...

How fabulous Karen, the sculptures here remind me so much of the works we see in Sculpture by the Sea on the beach, so much fun and lots of imagination :)

River said...

Interesting sculptures, love the Jenga hut. Good way to use the Wednesday words too.