Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

The Best Version of Winter

Woo-Hoo! When I left work today it was 37 marvelous degrees! It's been difficult trying to find good things during these frozen tundra days, especially when temperatures are -17 below and the wind chills plunging as low as -27, it's hard to follow that happy-go-lucky mantra. 

I'm posting to Words For Wednesday (words in green) and City Daily Photo. 


I'm using all 12 words given to us by Hilary Melton-Butcher and posted by Elephant's Child blog, and here's a lovely winter quote to get us in the proper mood. By Lewis Carroll.




"I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says, "Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again." 

Lewis Carroll


Strolling Through Winter




Please take this jaunt with me as I unravel the near toxic experience that feels more like a hundred days and yet this frozen tundra lasted about two weeks.


Snowmen = Winter Happiness



Snowshine my only snowshine

with delicious Oreo eyes

 and crunchy carrot nose

you are my snowshine.





So horribly cold that even the beauty of hoarfrost stretched across the land disappeared and a bevy of folks have taken to leaving on a jet plane.

Such as it was, while others grabbed their maps and packed their cars to flee in search of warmer climates.

and yet the joke was on them.


Unfortunately, even those normally warmer cities were being slammed with ice storms, freezing temperatures and even snow, oh no.


This winter brings a vengeance that just won't end.
Frost hanging from branches, and forlorn weeds windblown and frozen like art in a winter-wonderland movie.








Lost and covered by frost and a blanket of snow across this weed garden and any hope for even a turnip or daffodil to pop up again is sadly months away.



Just the very sight of this hobbit like house is like something Lewis Carrol may have delicately slipped inside a scene from his nonsense poem, "Jabberwocky" amidst a calm winter day.



A shell of their former existence now dried up and lifeless but still owning a chrome yellow shade of color and makes a lovely background for this child statue.




It's no coincidence that you're surrounded by signs of winter as it whispers, which direction shall be your destiny?





Perhaps a bit of camping could spruce up our mojo?




Silly Frosty why are you carrying your carrot nose?



Go with the glow, I guess!

And I leave you with this one thought after our winter wonderland stroll.

"When we feel we have benched ourselves for too long, we must loosen up the unessential, get over our endless cringing and make a bold leap 
to the glowing stars of our dream. ("Steaming ahead.")"
Erik Pevernagie

Take good care of you and enjoy every moment.


7 comments:

Sandi said...

Beautiful snow, Karen 🤗

Elephant's Child said...

How I love your beautiful, inventive use of Hilary's challenging prompts. My smile is so broad my face aches. Thank you.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Well done using the words, beautiful quotes and images. I love the cute snowman and the hobbit like houses. Take care, enjoy your day!

RedPat said...

An uplifting post on this not too cold morning here (0˚C). I am not enjoying this winter but loved your take on it.

William Kendall said...

I love winter. The only part I'm not fond of is freezing rain.

Sean Jeating said...

Ha! Don't regret I dropped over from Sue.
Thoroughly enjoyed this creative take on the prompts. Just lovely.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi 21 Wits - this was a delight to read ... I rather wish there was snow outside now and I could more easily envision your story line - it's great and fun to read and think about. I did love the photos - you've really illustrated your words and storyline so well. Thanks for embracing all the words so well - delighted - thank you - cheers Hilary