Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Catching Up with My Old Roots

 Back home again, yet it's another one of those trips you wish could go on even longer. Just a few photos for now.

Michigan, where I was born and raised. 


"I want to live in a land of lakes 

where the great waves break

and the night runs into the day."



There truly is something that happens to you when you return to your old home towns.



Below is a distant shot of Round Island Lighthouse.


It never takes longer than a few minutes together and going down memory lane to bring all those gaps flowing together and you can feel that fire you've carried all along inside your heart which keeps burning.



My oldest son, and my two nieces born and raised in Michigan, now living in other states too!



I'm betting you can imagine where these chairs were made?

What they call the Lower Peninsula of Michigan is shaped like a mitten.



One must board a boat to arrive at the car-free island of Mackinac.

Bring your own bike or rent one, but if you want to go horseback riding book it in advance. 


"In youth we learn; in age we understand."



My grand-daughter, Karina!



Outside the Mackinac Island library.


"The isle is full of noises, sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and harm not."

Shakespeare's the Tempest



"Where we love is home, home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

So happy we were told about the Secret Garden located on the grounds of the Grand Hotel.


Tulip garden at the Grand Hotel.



Just a couple shots from with the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island.



Somewhere in time down a long hallway you'll arrive for dinner, private cozy rooms or grand scale seating, either way it's an elegance you'll never forget.




Driving on car free Mackinac Island is the best, but watch where you step!

Horses galore. 


"The great thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are going"

Oliver Wendell Holmes


Other things, may change us, but we start and end with the family.

Anthony Brandt

Thanks for stopping your visits are very important to me.

Take good care of you.


9 comments:

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots!

I've been in Michigan a few times. Cousins of my father are there.

Cloudia said...

How wonderful that you are back in your special Roots place!

Elephant's Child said...

It sounds (and looks) wonderful.
Chortling at the Gardener Wanted sign. I am not the gardener for them.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I am glad you had a wonderful trip with your family.
The gardens and views are beautiful.
I have never been to Michigan, it looks wonderful.
Have a happy day!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

What a lovely visit to your home town Karen, fab photos. The advert for gardener made me laugh out loud, might use that myself when I need help with my garden 😉 The hotel shots are super. My old home town is unfortunately on another continent 💙

RedPat said...

Time with family is wonderful!

Jeanie said...

I haven't been to the island now for a bit -- I think the last time was 2019 -- and it was glorious! I'm hoping to take a daytrip there this summer. Did you stay at the Grand? They have new owners. And I love that area behind the library. It looks like a wonderful holiday and I'm glad you got back to Michigan. Thanks for posting that secret garden -- I think I may need to find it when I go again, though the poppies will probably be long gone!

Jack said...

You grew up on Mackinac Island? What an idyllic childhood. Nice to go back for a visit.

21 Wits said...

I actually grew up in lower Michigan, Lansing and Mason, but we traveled around Michigan a lot, to visit family and friends or just vacation! Michiganders believe in going to the lake on the weekends, it's really a thing. The water, and the island is calling. We spent much time right on Lake Michigan as my aunt and uncle lived in Grand Haven.