Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Saturday, August 14, 2021

Have You Ever Heard a Peacock Sing

Posting to SATURDAY'S CRITTERS and City Daily Photo.


I have a peacock that mysteriously and frankly quite sneakily I might add just arrived here one day in July. Around the 4th of July I began noticing odd little signs. Of course I know that this peacock has a rightful home somewhere close to me, it must and with our frozen tundra of a winter not that far away, keeping our new found friend is not an option. My worry is why this lovely creature decided to move on in the first place?  I've been told it's probably searching for a mate, which is not going to be an easy task in our neighborhood.



I took this photo a few days ago, and where once in real sight was greenish has now a deep richer blue. 

Pay attention to the signs! There's usually something more than what meets your eyes. Nothing is a coincidence. 

If you find yourself asking who ate my plant, there's a reason.


These brown dead stems to the left are what remains of my once beautiful Tiger Lillies.



My first photo of this extremely skittish bird often performs its circular dance with tail feathers in full bloom if it believes you aren't near.


It's a fleeting little genius of predicting I'm in chase with camera in hand!



"The peacock has become one of my regular sources of inspiration from nature."

Matthew Williamson


Be a peacock and dance with all of your beauty.

Debasish Mridha


I actually saw so many signs before the peacock actually showed itself, but of course I had no idea it was a peacock chewing up particular flowers and plants.  



It's true peacocks enjoy eating the leaves of my pepper plant which this pepper plant grows in my children's garden. As the plant keeps growing leaves one by one they're eaten away.



Apparently another delicious meal.


It seems this peacock doesn't care for all plants and flowers.


Another sign are the many feathers everywhere.



So I'm back to doing another favorite thing from my childhood, collecting random feathers.


and what could this peacock be thinking?

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons, It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." Walt Whitman



This photo from what I refer to as our Back 40 is the rest of our acreage butting up to our neighbor's acreage too, located to the left, right and behind us all have many places for a peacock to feel safe and right at home. 

"We need the tonic of wilderness, at the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomed by us because unfathomable. We can never have enough of nature." Henry David Thoreau


"A home is a kingdom of it's own in the midst of the world, a stronghold amid life's storms and stresses, a refuge, even a sanctuary."

Dietrich Bonhoeffer




Thanks for sharing your time with me.

Take good care of you and keep your eyes open for anything!

9 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Karen

I am sorry about your plants being eaten but I would love seeing the peacock strutting around my yard. You may have more than a peacock running around your acres. He is handsome, such pretty feathers. I enjoyed seeing your Peacock and your post! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

William Kendall said...

What a beautiful bird.

RedPat said...

I don't think I'll be finding one marching around on my roof deck! I hope he goes home before winter comes! In the meantime enjoy the novelty of seeing him!

Tamera said...

Wow he's gorgeous!

Shiju Sugunan said...

Gorgeous peacock!

My latest post:
https://craniumbolts.blogspot.com/2021/08/yet-another-birding-trip-to-saul-kere.html

Cloudia said...

You create a magical space around you!
๐Ÿฆš

Yvonne said...

That is something one would never expect in their back yard. Lovely photos, and hopefully he flies back to his safe haven in winter.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh my gosh I love peacocks Karen and yes I have heard them 'sing' ๐Ÿ˜‰ I have to say the plumage colours here I have never seen before, is it in the process of moulting? Looking forward to a few more shots as it grows in new feathers ๐Ÿ’œ

Jeff said...

Call your local NBC station, they might do a story on your MN peacock! They are beautiful birds, but when I first heard one cry, I thought it was a woman calling for help. I've shared that story in one my blogs.