Contemplating.

Contemplating.
Wayzata, Minnesota

Friday, June 21, 2013

Sepia Saturday 22 June 2013 - Drink it all in!

"Cream doesn't rise to the top, it works its way up."


SEPIA SATURDAY





Stop the presses!  For a very important break, for a very special date, before I continue.




Okay, let's take a moment to peer inside my crystal ball and see just what our dear Alan might be up to, while the rest of us here at Sepia Saturday are posting without him.

Without a doubt, there will be dancing in the streets -


 
In honor of Alan's birthday while he's on holiday.



Hopefully, not too much celebrating because, we wouldn't want




To hear the motorcycle-police say,
 "Off to Alan's birthday bash we go!"
 
 

So, enough crystal ball fun, and on with, Little Nell, aka Marilyn and what amazing and delicious theme she has poured for us this week -



Off to the creamery - I rather like the sound of that too.

Back to Sepia Saturday.



What an exciting trip to the creamery it was.


 
November 1939 San Angelo, Texas
loading empty milk cans
at the creamery.


Back in the day, it was common to see a house being moved, or building removed,  just to build another creamery.


Moving house to make room for expansion of Arden Farms Creamery, in San Diego California, in May of 1941.



 
Churning butter with their own dasher churn, in 1905.
 
What fun it was to churn your own.






I wonder if this is how they do it today?

 
Taking butter out of churns at the Dairymen's Cooperative Creamery. Caldwell, Canyon County, Idaho. These are some of the most modern churns in the United States.
(As of this date in June of 1941)
 
All butter of this creamery is marketed through the Challenge Butter and Cream Association, a cooperative marketing association, and is sold in California.
 
 
We shouldn't forget the most important part of this entire creamery business.
 
 
 
The cows!
 
 
 
 Sweet baby face.
 
 
 
 

and need I mention,





Grab a glass,


 
Fresh milk.





Need I say more?



Any idea what this is?



It's a "milk tree" all earthenware crocks for keeping milk outdoors in Jere, West Virginia, September 1938.




 
 
So many segments to this creamery business.
 
 
In the creamery power room.
 
 
 
 
 
 




How about those Food Shows?



Borden Creamery Booth, 1922 Food Show.
 
 
 
 
If I hurry,
 
 

I won't get caught.  Please, don't tell.


Thank you for stopping by, your visits and comments are all very special to me.


Also, a very special thank you to Little Nell for keeping us all afloat (and in healthy thoughts) here at Sepia Saturday.

Remember, drink more milk.



To visit other Sepia Saturday posts go here

http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2013/06/sepia-saturday-182-22-june-2013.html
 

20 comments:

Wendy said...

I bet that woman working the dasher had great upper arms -- no batwings for her.

Cloudia said...

You are sweet as buttermilk!


Aloha

Filip and Kristel said...

hm, Tango in the streets.

Greetings,
Filip

Nigel Aspdin (Derby, UK) said...

I puzzled over that "milk tree" and gave it some thought. Are you sure they are not pots to be used for collecting maple sap?

ariverflowsby said...

Love these old photos.

Unknown said...

Um, I looked it up, and publishing something a day early DOES NOT make up for publishing other things a day late! (FYI, and all that.)

Max Sartin said...

Great post, love all the old pictures and the mini-history lesson.

Sharon said...

A great selection of photos. I especially love the picture of the lady churning the butter. I also really like the old pump and tub in the background. How I would love one of these as a water feature in the garden today.

The last photo is also great. I could be our kitty. She would do something like that.

Hazel said...

What a wonderful selection of photos! My fave is the churning butter 1905 photo.

Happy birthday to Alan. Let him come back already. :)

Hazel

Little Nell said...

Well thank you for those kind words Karen; I try my best to please :) I'm glad you had such fun with this theme, and what a great selection of images you've found for us. I'm amazed at the photo of the house being moved in order to make room for a dairy!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful collection of creamery shots! And I'm still laughing over Wendy's "batwings" comment...we've all got 'em, eh?

Postcardy said...

When I think of "creamery" I think of "ice cream." "Creamery" seems to be a popular word for ice cream parlor around here.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Fine show! I remember the cats they were always around at milking time.

Brett Payne said...

I like the photo of the Creamery advert on the side of the old building, offering booths for ladies.

Bob Scotney said...

Great post, Karen with a superb set of old pictures on how it used to be.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

How sweet of you to give Alan such a neat birthday gift Karen!

My Dad used to work for Arden Farms, but in Eugene. It is a small world.

I loved this post; you did great.

Kathy M.

Joan said...

The photo of the woman churning her own butter with a dasher was great. However, she seemed to be a bit lackadaisical --- at least from my memories of churning the yellow stuff.

Crafty Kate said...

All pictures are fabulous! After you post I feel like having a glass of milk or some butter on my toast! Actually, I loved the most picture with cafe wall made of brick and the street below. These days I feel very nostalgic about old building made of bricks. It will be a sad world when all of them will be replaced by modern buildings.

Kristin said...

This makes me want to cold glass of milk and some cookies. Or a milkshake.

Susan Anderson said...

What a neat post! Fantastic photos and commentary.

=)